The interdisciplinary symposium "Gender and Age/Aging in the Context of Popular Culture" on June 23, 2021 focuses on gender and age/aging in the context of popular culture, especially music.
Since the reality of our lives is shaped by processes of globalization and digitization, whereby social spaces are culturally diverse and digitally networked, the question arises as to whether digital technologies enable or impede (inter)cultural exchange and global communication with regard to the perception of age(s) and gender in the context of popular culture. At this symposium, particular attention will be paid to cultural and media consumption, such as music and film, as well as cultural representations in contemporary American and European literary works. In this context, gender-specific experiences of men and women and their attitudes towards ageing in relation to media and music consumption will be compared to gain a deeper understanding of contemporary and changing representations of age and ageing in order to integrate age(s) into the human image.
Abstracts of 200-350 words for a 20-minute presentation should be submitted to Nicole.Haring(at)uni-graz.at by May 1, 2021. Please, include a short biography of 100 words or less. Proposals for presenting poetry, art, film, and other creative work will also be considered. The symposium will take place online.
Topics to be addressed at the symposium include but are not limited to:
- Cultural representation of gender and age/aging in popular music
- Cultural representation of gender and age/aging in contemporary American and European film and literature
- Gender-specific experience and attitudes towards age/ageing in relation to music and media consumption
- Contemporary and changing representation of age/aging as well as of gender in popular culture
- Experience of digital transformation in different life stages and age phases
The Call for Papers as PDF