doc. Věra Sokolová, PhD
* Associate Professor of History, School of Humanities, Charles University
* Guarantor of M.A. Program in Gender Studies, School of Humanities, Charles University
* Board Member, Cooperatio in Sociology and Applied Social Sciences: Gender Studies, Charles University
* Vice-Chair, Academic Senate, Faculty of Humanities, Charles University
* Vice-Chair, Working Group on Equality and Diversity, Coimbra Group
* Consultant for Equal Opportunities, Rectorate, Charles University
Contemporary history; constructions of memorial landscapes; collective memory and oral history; violence and trauma in public space; history of eugenics and stratified reproduction; comparative history of sexuality; theory of identities; spatial creativity
Doc., Habilitation in History, 2014, Pardubice University, School of Philosophy, Pardubice, Czech Republic
Ph.D., History, 2002 . University of Washington, Seattle
M.A., History, 1996 , University of Washington, Seattle
B.A., History, 1994 (Summa cum Laude), California State University, Sacramento
- Sokolova, V. 2021. Queer Encounters with Communist Power: Non-Heterosexual Lives and the State in Czechoslovakia, 1948–1989. Prague: Karolinum.
- Sokolova, V. 2021. “Imagine Being a Dad!: Parental Desires and Reproductive Strategies of Gay Men in the Czech Republic”. In Creative Families: Gender and Technologies of Everyday Life, eds. By J. Mikats, S. Kink-Hampersberger and L. Oates-Indruchova. London and New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Sokolova, V., Oates-Indruchova, L. 2021. “Eine feministische Brucke zwischen Ost und West.“ L’Homme: Zeitschrift für Feministische Geschichtswissenschaft, 32/2, 137–139.
- Smith, M. L., Sokolova, V. 2021. “Gender Gaps in Educational Pathways in the Czech Republic”, British Journal of Sociology of Education, 42/4: 520–543.
- Sokolova, V., Oates-Indruchova, L. 2021. “Who is Afraid of Feminist Thought?” Aspasia: The International Yearbook of Central, Eastern, and Southeastern European Women's and Gender History, Volume 15, 2021: 208–212.
- Sokolova, V., Kobova, L. eds. 2019. Odvaha nesouhlasit: feministické myšlení Hany Havelkové a jeho reflexe [The Courage to Disagree: The Feminist Thought of Hana Havelkova and Its Reflections]. Prague: FHS UK.
- Sokolova, V., 2008. Cultural Politics of Ethnicity: Discourses on the Roma in Communist Czechoslovakia. Stuttgart: ibidem-Verlag.
- Sokolova, V., Kolarova, K. eds. 2007. Gender and Generation: Interdisciplinary Intersections and Perspectives. Prague: Litteraria Pragensia.
* Progres Q20 Society and Culture research grant FHS UK. Project: Commemorative Spatial Practices and Memorial Spaces of WWII in Gendered Perspective.
* Progres Q20 Society and Culture research grant FHS UK for monograph Queer Encounters with Power, 2018–2020
* BASEES Women’s Forum Prize 2015 for The Politics of Gender Culture under State Socialism (author of one of the chapters in the book)
* GAČR Grant GA 403/09/1502 “Transformations of Gender Culture in Czechoslovakia 1948–1989”, (Research Team member), 2012–2015
* Ford Foundation Developmental Grant for the Institutionalization of Gender Studies at Charles University in Prague, 2000–2006 (Grant Author and Coordinator)